- Preheat the oven to 300F. Place the beans in a large saucepan, cover with plenty of cold water, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan until very hot. Add the pork and sear or brown on all sides
- Drain the beans, reserving the water, then place them in a large ovenproof casserole together with the pork and remaining ingredients. Add enough of the reserved water to come to about 2 inches of above the beans. Stir well.
- Cover and bake for 3 hours.
- Remove from the oven, mix again, add more water then re-cover, return to the oven and continue bake for a further 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Uncover for the last 30 minutes of cooking.